8.07.2012

Cebu Round Four – Diet? What diet?



I am writing about my fourth trip to Cebu. Why just now?

Well, my first trip to Cebu was when we were actually headed to Bohol, thus it was really just a stopover. My second trip to Cebu was when I attended the Advertising Congress way back when I was in college (2004). I went with my dad who brought me to Tabo-an to buy dried danggit and other fish and seafood like squid, etc. It was also the first (and hopefully not the last) time I had AA Barbecue’s Lechon Baka. On that trip, I remember having a photo taken with my then celebrity crush Matteo Guidicelli, whom at that time was know not as an actor, but as a kart driver. That just about summed up my trip.

My third trip to Cebu was for a wedding we did in Shangri-La Mactan. Though I wasn’t able to leisurely explore sights, we had ample time to look around and eat out.

This fourth trip was scheduled in time for our second wedding anniversary. We got a groupon for a 3D/2N package for two to Bantayan Island. So my plan was for us to spend a night in Mactan or in the city, then head to Bantayan Island for the rest of the trip.

I will write only about what we did during this trip, which doesn't include Bantayan Island as all ferry trips were cancelled due to the storm warning. I'll also post our pleasurable experience at Plantation Bay in another entry to keep this form being too long. 

This, in my opinion, is one of the nicest tributes to Dolphy by someone whose life he touched.
Filipino artists are just amazing!

HOW WE GOT THERE:
There are a number of airlines flying to Cebu from various major cities in the Philippines. We took Zest Air, which operates from the Old Domestic Terminal. We arrived in Mactan an hour late, probably due to Manila runway congestion or the strong winds brought about by typhoon Gener.


WHAT WE DID AND WHAT WE SAW:
Magellan’s Cross – Quite possibly the most popular tourist destination in Cebu, it’s the exact location where explorer Ferdinand Magellan planted the cross when they arrived in 1521, which sparked the beginning of Christianity in the Philippines. The saying “it’s what’s on the inside that matters” applies to this particular instance, as the tindalo cross you see encases the original cross Magellan planted himself.

The Basilica de Sto. Niño,
possibly the most famous landmark in Cebu
Basilica de Sto. Niño – The Church and convent was built in 1565, but was destroyed a couple of times. The Church we see today was built in 1737. The image of the Sto. Niño that is venerated in the Church is also the same figure that was brought by the Spaniards when they arrived in the 1500s, led by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi. You can line-up to be able to say a short prayer to the Sto. Niño at the left side of the Church, at the hallway between the courtyard and the main area of the Church. There is a multitude of candle vendors selling candles for you to offer (and not light as this is prohibited) for thanksgiving to Sto. Niño or to the patron saint of your liking.

Lapu-Lapu Shrine – Remember that guy Magellan, who planted the cross? Well, this guy killed him in a bloody battle between the first inhabitants and the colonizers. Lapu-Lapu was a Datu, a native leader, similar to a king. He led the natives in the Battle of Mactan wherein they revolted against the Portugese explorer and his men. The bronze statue gives honor to the first man who fought for our country and can aptly be called the Philippines’ first hero.


WHERE AND WHAT WE ATE:

The husband/boyfriends of these ladies must be afraid of them. She chopped the lechon in half in just one swing!
CnT Lechon – Basic: lechon, lumpia, puso. If you want a bit more, try adding pansit. Best to come for lunch as they only cook a certain number per day. Should you decide to eat lunch at their main restaurant in Guadalupe (1377 Rama Ave.) or their branch at the Reclamation area (across SM) for lunch, be sure to make a reservation ([032] 254-4249, [032] 254-6641), or arrive really early (like 10:30am) or late (like 1:30pm) to avoid the long queue.
When you get there, grab a number and wait for your number to be called. If you are already called and the part you desire is no longer available, you can opt to have the others “overtake” you, then you’ll just be given priority in choosing your part of choice when they open the next one. Choosing of a particular part makes the process longer actually. When we went for the wedding in May, we had to wait an hour (!) for our number to be called. Luckily, they had just opened one when our turn came. So naturally, I chose the mid, bottom/under portion of the belly. Worth every minute and every calorie! As the saying goes, “good things come to those who wait.”
Or, you may just head to the food court of SM or Ayala Center. But should you wish to bring back home some lechon, the main branch or the Reclamation are your options. They pack the lechon very well anyway, so it saves you some hassle.

AA Barbecue – AA Barbecue is quite possibly one of the most popular sugba (grill) joints in Cebu. I first tried AA’s when we went to Cebu for the Ad Congress. My dad and I had the lechon baka. I recall the baka being very tender and full of flavor. Which is why this time, I insited that we go to Lahug where their main branch is, to make sure there’s lechon baka. Unfortunately, upon arrival, I discovered that they no longer serve the lechon baka and only do so very rarely. This broke my heart. But of course, we can’t let a setback rain on our parade. So we still got a few things we liked: tender-to-the-bone pork ribs, flavorful fish, chicken fillet and my favorite, their grilled squid squares. What I like most about their grilled squid is that it’s so tender and tasty that you know for sure it’s fresh and cooked right. For first-timers, upon arrival, go to the counter, get a tray and choose your goodies. When done, hand them over to the counter and they will cook it for you. You must also try their tropical twister cooler, which is similar to four seasons but has slices of about 5 different fruits. Truly refreshing!


The Boneless Lechon Belly, Bangus Tinapa,
Lomboy and Iba Shake, and the dipping sauce of
vinegar, chili oil and soy sauce. 
Zubuchon – In tribute to foodies, I just had to try Zubuchon – the restaurant that rose from the exposé of Anthony Bourdain on the Cebu Lechon. Zubuchon takes pride in not using MSG, buying native pigs from independent growers, using olive oil, and doing lechon the old fashioned way (think pigs slowly roasting on bamboo poles over a bed of charcoal). They also puncture the lechon which gives it a distinct character and gives the skin the Zubuchon crisp and texture. I’ve tried the boneless pork belly and the pritchon style. I must say I like the belly better. We also tried their kalabasa soup, pickled vegetables, and the tinapang bangus belly with onions, tomatoes and salted egg (definite winner!). Cool down with their iba (kamias) or lomboy (duhat) shake and finish off with the budbud kabug – suman made with millet seeds, cooked with coconut milk in banana leaves. The budbud is best consumed hot.

Spice Fusion – If you want a break from all the walking around and lechon munching, try Spice Fusion in SM Reclamation. The restaurant serves Asian food and I must say they are quite good at it. We had sweet and sour fish, salt and pepper pork, and steamed garlic kaylan, which we all loved.

The Husband and my Churros con Chocolate
Tablea Chocolate Cafe – We looked for Tablea mainly because a foodie friend requested us to get her packs of instant chocolate from here. Knowing she has good taste in food, I knew I had to grab a cup for myself. So I ordered the Chocolate con Churros, while husband ordered a cup of their basic hot chocolate. We weren’t disappointed. In fact, I finished the churros, and even asked the servers for some milk to add to the dipping chocolate so I can drink it (as it was too thick to drink). In the end, we didn’t just buy for my friend -  we bought a few packs for ourselves, too!


WHAT WE BROUGHT HOME:
Dried Mangoes – One of the things Cebu is famous for. The Philippines is probably the biggest, if not the lone exporter of dried mangoes to the U.S.A. and the world. There are several good brands to choose from, depending on each person’s taste. I strongly suggest you try several brands so you’ll find the one to your liking.

Lechon – Once family or friends in Manila (or wherever it is you’re from) find out you’re headed to Cebu, it’s usually lechon they ask you to bring home. After all, Cebu lechon is indeed the most popular of  provincial lechon in the Philippines. As to what brand, well, to each his own really. We are still trying to explore the differences in taste specifically for the take-home lechon.


WHERE WE STAYED:
Lowaii Recreation Area
Lowaii Cebu Marine Resort (Suba Basbas, Mactan; near Pacific Cebu resort and same road as Plantation Bay)

It’s far, and by that I mean FAR. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to love about this place. The resort is designed in such a way that there are a few “common” native huts, with a Balinese-inspired look, casual and cozy vibe. They have modern furniture also in some areas, which adds spunk to the place. Couldn’t say I love the room, but I don’t get queasy thinking about it either. Can’t say I love the food, but it ain’t bad. What I’m most impressed with is that despite the resort’s being far out and the weather situation while we were there (strong winds and terrible rain), the employees were more than willing to respond to requests and remained courteous all throughout our stay. The kitchen staff even exerted extra effort when we asked for a box to put our excess baggage (they gave us the box of their osterizer, A+ for effort!).


Sto. Niño de Cebu as sold in the streets outside the Church


I’m very aware there is more to Cebu than just this, so I will write more entries whenever I go back to Cebu and explore more. Will keep you posted!:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment