11.12.2011

why 'wiki'?

Photo from the JHUMCPS wikispace
When you hear of wikipedia, the first thing that comes to mind is the online encyclopedia; a collection of information that constantly evolves according to its users, providing quick access to information, and gives users the ability to edit the collection.

“Wikireena” was originally coined by good friend and mentor D.B. in her blog. I found it amusing and it sounded pretty good, so it kind of stuck with me.

As anyone would expect, when I was thinking of options for my blog name, it was, of course, one of my options.

So I searched online for the meaning of the term ‘wiki’ and learned from answers.com that it means “quick” in Hawaiian, can likewise be the acronym for “what I know is”, and finally, a “web site that can be quickly edited by its visitors with simple formatting rules which means that the content can be edited by anyone who has access to it and the content is therefore the result of a collaborative, community effort.“

Well, my personal wiki can’t  really be ‘edited’ by viewers, but comments are very much welcome to enrich the content – therefore it can still be the result of a collaborative, community effort. I will likewise try my best to stand true to the wiki idea – I will try to provide as much information as I can as I recount my travels.

Bow.


P.S. Special thanks to D.B. for giving that extra push, motivating me even more to pull this off, and for acquainting me once again with the technicalities of blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment